Staple Corner: Quinoa and Millet

Basic Quinoa and Millet

Quinoa is one of the most nutritious grains available as it contains a nearly perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids, and is very high in protein. Make sure to rinse the grain well, and soak the quinoa overnight. Serve with a bean and vegetable dish for a complete meal.


Basic Quinoa and MilletBasic Quinoa and Millet
Recipe by
Published on March 25, 2007

Quick, simple and nourishing quinoa and millet combination as a side for a healthy meal

Print this recipePrint this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1/2 cup millet
  • 2 1/4 cups water
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower or sesame seeds (optional)
Instructions:
  • Rinse the quinoa under cool running water and place in a small bowl. Rinse the millet and place in another small bowl. Divide the water evenly between the two bowls of grains and soak overnight.

  • Drain the quinoa and millet, saving the soaking water, and set aside.

  • Bring the collected soaking water to a boil with the salt in a medium saucepan. Add the millet, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.

  • Add the quinoa, cover, and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat, stir in the toasted sunflower or sesame seeds if using, and cover. Let the grains stand for 5 to 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork and serve hot.

  • Notes: You can season the finished grain dish with tamari sauce. Alternately, you can add a small, finely chopped onion along with a teaspoon of curry powder and a dash a cayenne pepper. If you make this variation, fry the onion for a few minutes in a frying pan with a small amount of butter or oil before adding the spices. Add the onion and spices to the finished dish.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

5 comments:

Alice the Camel said...

I've seen quinoa in recipes and had no idea what it was. Now I know and am tempted to try it. The trick for me will be finding it...

Lisa said...

It's readily available at whole food stores, and maybe even your local grocery store, depending on where you live. I also make a delicious soup with quinoa, corn, and a little spice and I'll be posting that soon.

Fergy said...

Thank you Lisa, my life and my family thank you. I used to be a amateur 1/2 tri-athalete. Now I'm just looking forward to May. I'm commenting all over the place as you may have noticed, but it's getting harder.

I'm in a small town in near north Ontario, but I've helped a restaurant whose owners are east indian, and they given me many spices as a gift. I hope to continue posting. Please know that even if I can't post I'm still reading/listening.

Thank You

Mark Ferguson

Lisa said...

Thank you for your comments Fergy. I am happy to be of assistance to you and your family. More soon, as time permits.

Shubha said...

HeY lisa.. Just somehow found u blog when I was searching for baked cutlets and Wow... u have an awesome blog here...:) quinoa is something I was looking forward to try. today seeing u blog... I am tempted to...:) I am not eating rice nowadays to avoid putting on weight...:) so do u think quinoa will be a good substitute for Rice? and also... in the stpale... u said about both millet and quinoa but do I have to mix both of them together or can i just make quinoa alone :)